Kitchen renovations or remodeling can be quite challenging but not if you go about the task in a systematic manner. You need to have the right approach to the entire project for a smooth transition. It is always a good idea to hire professional services when it comes to kitchen renovations. They are experts in the field and shall work out the best possible solution for you. They have great tricks up their sleeves about how to maximize storage space, smart substitutions for expensive options, etc. But before you meet with a professional designer, there is some homework that you need to do on your own. This exercise will be very useful when you go to meet your architect or designer. Here is how it goes!
Step 1: Make a drawing of your kitchen that shows the position of doors, windows, other outlets, wall -mounted appliances, cabinets, etc.
Step 2: Clearly outline all the changes that you wish to make. Do you want more space or utilize an existing one. Put down everything with pen and paper, so that you have your wish list for the kitchen renovation ready. Take time and invest thought while you are making this list.
Step 3: Create a file or folder of various ideas that you have accumulated. It could be about designs, colors, cabinets, products, materials or any other aspect that may have interested you. Magazines and the internet provide with ample ideas to match divergent aesthetic as well as functional requirement.
Once you are ready with these the next step would be to further narrow down your requirements by asking yourself certain questions like –
- How many people are usually there in the kitchen at a given time?
- How many chefs cook?
- If you plan to have an eat-in kitchen, then you must know how many people will be seated at a time?
- What is your cooking style? Do you bake, roast, grill, more or do you use the cook top stove to stir up a meal?
- How easy do you want your clean up to be? Do you want easy clean ups in your kitchen?
- Do you entertain often? If yes what is the number of guests that turn up for a meal? This is an important consideration while planning a kitchen renovation.
- Would you like ample storage space to conceal and put away trivia in the kitchen?
- Do you want your appliances and other kitchen equipment to be easily accessible?
If you have answered these questions, you are good to go to your professional designer who can take it up from there. Remember that the stove or cook top, the refrigerator and the sink are three crucial points in every kitchen that should ideally be the three points in a triangle. You can have more than one triangular arrangement in your kitchen, but having this one is prime. Also while designing a kitchen keep in mind the distances between frequently used appliances, island, counter top, etc. for example, distance from fridge to sink, from sink to stove, from fridge to coffee maker or microwave, etc. for an efficient kitchen design!